When low self-esteem is always on the corner

Self-esteem is a term used to describe an individual's sense of worth or personal value. Low self-esteem can impacts an individual performance when studying, working, managing their personal affair or relationships. For me, low self-esteem is always on the corner, and everyday I need to work at it. let me tell you what causes low self-esteem, my personal stint with self-esteem and how I try to fight it off every single day.

What causes low self-esteem?
The way a person feels about themselves is linked directly to their experiences and how they deal with situations :

  • Unsupportive family and carers play an influential role
  • Friends with negative influence
  • Stressful life events such bereavement, moving houses, relationship problems, losing a job 
  • Ongoing stress
  • Poor study or work performance
  • Mental health problems
  • Physical health problems
  • Financial issues
  • bullying or abused
  • loneliness
  • ongoing medical issues
  • Experiencing prejudice, discrimination sigmas
What's it like to have low self-esteem?
During my Mdes in Design for Innovation and Sustainability at Cranfield University, I was surrounded by some peers who were just simply racially insensitive, and experience constant micro-aggressions. Then, not having the expertise in your area of study - i.e. Design and being surrounded by very talented designers, you just ask yourself why are you here? There is also the feeling that you may never fill the gaps between the rich and the poor when you notice first hand the big gaps between supra rich and privilege students and the others, then you look at your own bank account, and yes you've taken a loan to complete your studies.
What it is like? Heartbreaking. Physically, it is like, you heart is breaking into two and sinking inside your thoracic cage. I had constant feelings of sadness, anxiety, shame and guilt of not being good enough. I also preferred being alone most probably because I felt unwanted, and I had a lot of negative self-talk. I

How do you improve your self esteem?

Mind gives quite a lot of tips such as being kind to yourself, taking care of oneself appearance, trying to notice the goods things building a support network, engaging with therapies, setting yourself some challenges.

For me, I learnt to be kind to myself by getting to know myself better through journaling and engaging with new activities. I started volunteering for Transition Leicester and Positive Money to build a supportive network in Leicester. I learnt to notice the good things through gardening and minimalism.  and I set myself challenges such as trying to obtain a Ph.D sponsorship.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

"What does climate justice mean to you?"my response

  For   #biggreenweek   #climatejusticeconversation   "What does climate justice mean to you?" asked Climate Actio Leicester Leice...