Finding a partner in the making

I love working on projects. I love working with others.

When I started to be a volunteer coordinator for Positive Money in Leicester, I wanted to find a partner to create some events on the theme of money. This person had to be reliable, trustworthy and hard working. 

I did not find the person through the various meetings and events which I organised or participated in. The individuals I have met were not there to collaborate in the way I wanted. They were looking to gain other social benefits.

Eventually, one person revealed herself to be the right partner whilst I was volunteering to support her own scheme: Footpaths, a carbon footprint reduction community-based programme. I run some sessions with her as a co-facilitator. Through our preparation meetings, I shared my vision for Positive Money in Leicester and our two worlds merged.

Since then, we are partners. Others got inspired and joined us to develop a taster and full day workshop on Money. After the taster workshop, a reading group emerged. After the full-day workshop, other volunteering organisations got interested in having the money workshop run for them. We are now in the process of editing the workshop to share facilitation notes to every participants of footpaths. They will be able to run sessions on the theme of money with their group members.

As I will be stepping down from Positive Money as a volunteer co-ordinator to focus fully on freeskilling, repairing and making, my partner in crime and I are already thinking of organising a festival which is rather exciting.

A partner is more likely to be found in the making and sharing. You have to be willing to give in order to receive something back. You have to be focus on what you are trying to achieve but also flexible in the way you are going to get there. Someone along the way will join you, ensure to be open to opportunities when this person comes along.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

"What does climate justice mean to you?"my response

  For   #biggreenweek   #climatejusticeconversation   "What does climate justice mean to you?" asked Climate Actio Leicester Leice...