Storytelling: A method to change yourself and the world

I have been contemplating using storytelling as a method to investigate the narrative of people trying to repair devices.

Instead of looking for journals that indicate the limitations and quality of this particular research method. I spent most my day looking out for pieces of information on how to become a storyteller.

I have learnt a few things.

First of all, a story is a strategic tool that can be used to change the world. It is a device that most of us as some way some how have and this through the magic of language. Language, sound is what allow us to connect with others. It is through this connection that we make that we can find ways to create a more compelling world. It is a leadership device that we have to make the best use of. It is our opportunity to get closer to others through the story we tell.

There is ways of telling a compelling stories. The story has to be visual in order to transport the audience in your realm. You have to show and not tell, body gestures and props are then welcome. Your story has to have a point. Without a point, it is just talking for talking and no one learn something from it.

For me, what revealed itself the most powerful is this video by Donald Davis on TedX Charlotteville. He share the story of his father who was called Joe Davis. Most in town called him Joe the Banker. Some called him Joe the Cripple. Why? Joe Davis tell the story to his son on how the experience of being crippled made him the banker that he is. Joe Davis tell the story on how his mother forced him to tell the story so many time to learn something from it and transform his outlook on his situation. From Donald Davis, I have learnt how the story can change the teller and why it is so valuable to tell and share your story, to change the world, to change yourself, to love more.

I have learnt something powerful about stories.

I also reflected on my own behaviour. I am always transported by other's stories and sometimes disgust by some current ones (climate injustice, child hunger etc.). I do not always take the time though to tell my own story. It is a big mistake. Big is probably not the right word. Mistake probably not too. It is just a shame to think that your own story is not as important as other people story. It is just a SHAME to think that your failure should be kept secret and weigh you down when actually by sharing the story you can learn more about yourself and teach something to other too. So after that experience, I note down all the stories I have experienced in simple bullet point. I took my voice recorder and started to tell them. One by One. There is the story on how I became a minimalist from having for most part of my life a messy room? How I became an environmentalist by first caring for child hunger? How I chose the love of my life from having positive and negative experiences with other men? How I embrace storytelling and how it change my life? There are more little stories there and then but I haven't found the point of them just yet. It will come as long as I keep telling them.

Video Links on storytelling: 
How To Tell Stories: Storytelling Tips : How to Practice Storytelling Techniques Mastering The Art of Storytelling - Gordon Hester Doug Stevenson: "The Power to Persuade – The Magic of Story" | Talks at Google 
Storytelling Skills / Training / Choose Your Stories  
The power of storytelling | Andrea Gibbs | TEDxPerth  
The power of storytelling to change the world: Dave Lieber at TEDxSMU 2013  
The mystery of storytelling: Julian Friedmann at TEDxEalin

Other links 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

"What does climate justice mean to you?"my response

  For   #biggreenweek   #climatejusticeconversation   "What does climate justice mean to you?" asked Climate Actio Leicester Leice...