Fashionably Compassionate Romantic - Fight against the elements and fracking

2pm - Leicester City Centre - Highcross - Saturday - It is a bit windy - I am wearing a hat, a coat, a scarve, a jean and some proper shoes. I am going to spend the next three hours outside, I better be warm. I am fighting against the elements and for a frack free world.

I am with Friends of the Earth in front of Barclays with a stand. Our banner says 'Frack Free Leicestershire Network. Our main purpose is to raise awareness on fracking, Barclays investment in a company planning to frack beautiful Ryedale in North Yorkshire and the other plan possibly being drawn for Leicestershire. I have a clip board in my hand to get passers to sign a petition to halt fracking in the UK. I am in good spirit. They will understand.

I notice that my dress code is at odd with saturday afternoon shopping spree. Most people wear a t-shirt, light jumper, jean or skirts, lipsticks and eyeshadows. The dress code has a purpose, they will be in and out of shops. They do not need to stand outside for long and they have to look as beautiful as the people in the pictures. I look different, maybe aggressive or like partner says 'too green'. I tell passers repeatedly 'Did you know that Barclays has investment to frack North Yorkshire'. I must make them feel guilty.

Yet, I want to work with anyone I meet, people of Leicester, to ensure that we are moving in a positive direction building our institutions like Rousseau would say on Compassion, protecting our beautiful land and people because we are terribly romantic. I promise that next time I will play dress up and look as good as some of the people in the street. The Fashionably Compassionate Romantic will probably get more attention and acceptance.

It is almost 5pm, we had approximately 90 signatures. We were at least 9 at any hour trying to get people signed. In other world, we had approximately 3 signatures per person per hour, 20 minutes of anguish in between. My spirit went up and down. They do not all understand.

What is fracking some ask me? Others smile but do not want to talk to me. They do not have time. Their hands are too full. It is difficult to hold a pen to sign if you are holding the world in your hands or too many shopping bags.

Revised on 14th March - we had 90 signatures as opposed to 40 - so much better!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

"What does climate justice mean to you?"my response

  For   #biggreenweek   #climatejusticeconversation   "What does climate justice mean to you?" asked Climate Actio Leicester Leice...