Footpaths Leicester

Footpaths Leicester is a way for people to meet and support each other to reduce their personal carbon footprints. It offers a structured, supportive and fun environment in which people can work out what they want to change in your life to reduce your carbon footprint - and a community of like minded people to do it with. 

They provide a structure course of eight meetings with two facilitators and people to do it with. Beyond the course, Footpaths provide support to support people to continue on improving their personal carbon footprint, through one off events, workshops and get together.

How did I get involved with Footpaths Leicester?

I wanted to find out how grassroots organisation support people through change to facilitate the transition towards a sustainable system of consumption and production. It was after joining Transition Leicester and starting a Positive Money project to improve literacy about the money system that I eventually met with Zina Zelter, founder of Footpaths Leicester. 

What did I do with Footpaths Leicester?

I trained to become a facilitator for the Footpaths course, I delivered a eight course sessions. I also collaborated to design and deliver two money workshops. Finally, one of our biggest project was the Green Festival of Making and Mending which led to the creation of Leicester Fixers. I also carried out a survey at the festival for my doctoral thesis about the factors influencing prosumer repair propensity.

An important thing I did with Footpaths is work on reducing my carbon footprint. I reduced my meat, electricity and water consumption. I started growing my own food and take up on cycling. I also joining a bulk buying group to buy ethical food in bulk. A doctoral thesis by Fisher (2014) measuring the impacts of Footpaths course on personal carbon footprint demonstrated long term behaviour change in participants who continued making efforts in reducing their carbon footprint outside of the course setting. I can confirm that is true as I continue as of today to find ways to reduce my carbon footprint further.

It was a great experience to be part of Footpaths Leicester as I developed my skills both as a teacher and facilitator as well as a project manager

To Learn more about Footpaths Leicester

Their Facebook Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

"What does climate justice mean to you?"my response

  For   #biggreenweek   #climatejusticeconversation   "What does climate justice mean to you?" asked Climate Actio Leicester Leice...