"What does climate justice mean to you?"my response

 For #biggreenweek #climatejusticeconversation "What does climate justice mean to you?" asked Climate Actio Leicester Leicestershire - Why not have a conversation with somebody?

About Climate Justice and what it means for me.
More often than not, when I discuss or read about what Climate Justice means: concerns about the impacts of climate change in developing countries, historical, colonial, racist and economic legacies and the need for retribution are mentioned. From this standpoint, Climate Justice is linked to international development and the human rights agenda. I can often feel powerless when the global perspective is promoted. What is it that I can truly do? So I ask myself:
  • What is Climate Justice in the UK?
  • What is Climate Justice for the communities I am most connected to? inc. Black British working-class communities as well as women, men and children who are dealing with the impacts of domestic and sexual violence
  • Considering their existing vulnerabilities, resources and capabilities, I ask myself what can be done collectively and individually to prepare for, respond to and recover from climate change impacts?
Climate Justice becomes then for me about
  • reducing inequalities - not only financial but also social, cultural, educational,
  • striving for gender equality so that victims of abuse inc. women, men and children are protected from abuse and violence especially when we find ourselves in the midst of a climate, health, energy, economic or else related crisis,
  • reducing poverty,
  • providing decent work and pay
  • supporting good health and wellbeing, especially FREE access to mental health support. It is what we do at Quetzal
  • making cities and communities more sustainable
  • making access to clean energy affordable

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

"What does climate justice mean to you?"my response

  For   #biggreenweek   #climatejusticeconversation   "What does climate justice mean to you?" asked Climate Actio Leicester Leice...