Skip to main content

Wishing each other well and doing each other harm. Philosophy of dispute - Maxime Rovere

 Today, I've received an email from a friend and professional contact I appreciate and care for and also with whom I had on different occasions some tensions and disputes.

When I read the emails, a thunder of emotions passed through me, a multitude of voices entered my mind all roaring despicable words.

My first reaction was to follow the most basic instinct and to send an email that look as ugly as the emotions I felt.

Then the 'Marcus Aurelius' inside invited me to write and reflect in a notebook - What is it that I want?

What I wanted was to speak to the person in question to let them know that I care for them.

They did not answer the telephone

To distract myself, I then turned to Youtube and as I was browsing - Carl Jung' serendipity came through. I came across a video produced by Arte: How can we have a disagreement well? where Maxime Rovere, philosopher, and author of ''Wishing each other well and doing each other harm. Philosophy of Dispute - delineated his theory.

What a revelaation and a breeze of fresh air

It seems my mode operandi to deal with conflict through reflection and taming the multitude of voices inside was the right way to deal with whatever trigger I felt when first reading the email. I also learnt about abstraction, the focus on a single issue, and imputation, the way we attribute the fault to others when we feel pain instead of taking responsibility for our own suffering.

In all, I have more tools in my hand to deal with whatever issue that arises by deciding who I want to be rationally and emotionally.

I invite you to find out more about the philosophy of dispute 

https://youtu.be/icZNfugCBIU?si=S7DBSAypEa0MFRzN

Wishing each other well and doing each other harm. Philosophy of dispute - Maxime Rovere


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keynes vs Minsky

I am a beginner in economics but reading Positive Money book 'Modernising Money' by Ben Dyson and Andrew Jackson. My interest grew in the work of Minsky and encouraged me to read more about Keynes. Keynes economics promote the view that in the long run economics system converge into an equilibrium with the support of the government. Nevertheless you cannot help the role of banks in the system and wonder after reading the following quote: “But this long run is a misleading guide to current affairs. In the long run we are all dead. Economists set themselves too easy, too useless a task if in tempestuous seasons they can only tell us that when the storm is long past the ocean is flat again.”   (Keynes, 1923) This imply that economists did not comprehend why we had a financial crisis and collapse.  Minsky with  his model 'Financial Instability Hypothesis' strive to answer this question.  The idea in Minsky's work in a 'simplistic summary is that in very

Leicester Stories: What conversations and discussions did you have with people living and working in Leicester?

Dr Rob Watson interviewed me as part of Leicester Stories series #BuildBackBetter in July 2021.  Prior to the interview, he sent me few questions for me to prepare the interview and start thinking about what it means to Build Back Better post-pandemic. In the following post, I answer one of the questions augmented after reflecting upon the interview R: I’d like to know what conversations and discussions people living and working in Leicester had during the lockdown, especially when these conversations started to focus on the idea of Building Back Better? Through the lockdown, my discussion were upon the tools available to people to support their mental health and connections with others. In a trauma-informed programme, the first steps are stabilisation and regulation. In other words, if someone is in a state of shock, the first step is to ground them and help them manage their emotions. In our community, we experienced first hand what it is to be in a state of shock during the pandemic

First kiss

When did you first fell in love? What happened? My first love was Jeremy a sweet love until we were shamed in front of the whole class for inappropriate behaviour. We kissed